On Wed, Apr 28, 1999, Brian D. Kohl wrote:

> Hello all, searched the archives but did not see something specific to this
> error:
>
> I am installing the whole thing here, have run the rsaref portion ok, have
> done the 'make -f Makefile.ssl links' and the 'perl ./Configure gcc
> -DRSAref -IRSAglue -L'pwd'/../rsaref-2.0/local/ -lrsaref' and that ends ok,
> but gives me an error at the end saying "c_rehash:  rehashing skipped
> ('openssl' program not available).  I then move on to the make and all goes
> fine until I get into the ./apps directory, where I fatal error out with:

The "rehasing skipped" is harmless and can be ignored. It
has nothing to do with the following error.

> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to openssl
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `openssl'
> Current working directory /users/bkohl/websw/openssl-0.9.2b/apps
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
> Current working directory /users/bkohl/websw/openssl-0.9.2b
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `top'
> "

That's interesting: nod list of missing symbols is shown.

> I am running SunOS 5.6 and have installed gcc 2.8.1 yesterday. I assume
> there is something simple I am missing, ld is in the path and I am stumped.

I guess you've installed gcc incorrectly or at least it's a binary not
intended for that particular Solaris platform and this way it's broken.