On Mon, Oct 04, 1999, Yan Zhang Chen wrote:

> I'm new; just read the FAQ and searched the past mail archive, but still
> have this question: is it OK (feasible & advisable) to build the latest
> mod_ssl (2.4.5) with earlier versions of Apache (v.1.3.4 specifically)?
> I do see there is a "--force" option in mod_ssl for such purpose.
> Any experience/opinion please?

I've never tried it myself to build the latest mod_ssl with anchient Apache
versions. Perhaps it works, but I expect that it doesn't work (there were lots
of API changes between Apache 1.3.4 and 1.3.9). OTOH, why do you want to build
with older Apache versions? Because of EAPI you've to rebuild Apache in any
case, so it doesn't harm that you have to use the latest version.

> I actually have another question: is this EAPI something specific to
> mod_ssl (I didn't hear about it before) ? Does Apache-SSL also require
> this EAPI extension?

Yes and no. EAPI is not mod_ssl specific technically, i.e. EAPI contains
neither SSL nor mod_ssl specific things. But it's a prerequisite for mod_ssl
to work, because for mod_ssl to operate a little bit more functionality in the
Apache API is required (that additional functionality is what EAPI is for). So,
EAPI is totally independent of mod_ssl, but it was created because of mod_ssl
and so it's tied to the mod_ssl project and is also distributed with mod_ssl.
But that's more or less for convinience reasons only.

Apache-SSL doesn't require EAPI, because it uses its own "EAPI", i.e.
Apache-SSL ships with its own patches for the Apache API (these patches just
have no stand-alone name and are considered an integral part of Apache-SSL,
but the idea is the same as for EAPI, of course).