On Mon, Oct 04, 1999, Yan Zhang Chen wrote:

> [...]
> > of API changes between Apache 1.3.4 and 1.3.9). OTOH, why do you want to build
> > with older Apache versions? Because of EAPI you've to rebuild Apache in any
> > case, so it doesn't harm that you have to use the latest version.
>
> The main reason is that we had hacked Apache, I'd have to undertake the
> usual change-merging hassle for every Apache upgrade. Looks like I'll
> have to this time.

Oh, sure. But look at me: I had to merge a lot of stuff (=EAPI) for every
Apache release, too. And it's a harmless and easy job if you do it correct.
My recommendation for you: Import Apache releases onto the vendor track of a
local CVS repository and keep your changes on HEAD. Then for each Apache
release just re-import the release to the vendor branch and let your changed
be merged with it. That's usually a matter of less than 1 hour work per Apache
release. It's a lot easier and robust than fiddling and re-applying manual
patches every release.

> [...]
> Thanks very much for the clarification about EAPI. Just for curiosity,
> any reference/doc about this EAPI?

Sure, everything is documented ;)
See pkg.eapi/README.EAPI in the mod_ssl distribution.