> > Typically these sites don't run SSL on the server.  It's terminated
> > at the switch hardware, many net gear vendors have SSL accelerators
> > that emulate a connection to the server.  The end user doesn't know the
> > difference.  And you bind the SSL cert to the net device.
>
> That doesn't change the fact that this hardware can get keepalives to work
> for MSIE, but we can't for mod_ssl.  Has anyone had a chance to try the
> settings I posted earlier?  As soon as I get a free minute I'm going to test
> it on a variety of browsers I've got here.

I've been using these settings:

        SetEnvIf User-Agent "MSIE [1-4]" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
        SetEnvIf User-Agent "MSIE [5-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown

and it seems to do the trick (keeping the fingers crossed....)

The difference for my app is dramatic!

My typical scenario is a fat pipe with a long roundtrip. You wouldn't believe
how much of an impact keepalive makes!

Igor