actually no need to reply my request for an explanation... i went to the
mod-ssl.org page and re-read the FAQ and the thing I was after was the
way to bypass the Apache "wait for PEM code" thingy.

It's in the FAQ's and was very easy to do.  Now I can boot remotely and
walk away :)  Security? well, if someone can get into the
/etc/httpd/conf/ssl
directory then I'm hosed anyhow so why worry?  I think one of the guru's
around here even said p'word protecting the keys is sorta useless... maybe I
saw that in the archives... dunno.

link to FAQ with specific info FYI:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#remove-passphrase

Jeff