On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Owen Boyle wrote:
>
> > Having a password means that no-one can use your certificate - even if
> > they obtain a copy of it. They can load the cert into their server but
> > it won't let the server come up unless they know the password.
> >
> > The downside is that you have to type in the password personally to
> > start apache. Tricks like putting the password in a program and so on
> > just shift the risk - the hacker just needs to grab the program.
> >
> > My personal tuppence-worth is that if you have a machine where there is
> > a risk that hackers can steal root-privileged files then you should not
> > be running it as an SSL web-server (if they can steal a cert, they can
> > steal your customer's private data - exposing you to a liability issue).
> > So if you protect your server to the utmost, you have no need of a
> > password protected certificate.
>

> s/certificate/private key/g, and this matches my sentiments exactly.
> Passphrases just give a false sense of security.

Cool, since the vast majority of websites are run insecurely, and most
folks putting up a server install all the little toys and trinkets of the
underlying OS distributions they choose to run, and since many of these
sites run insecure off the shelf freebie scripts, just give out the most
insecure pointers they can actually allow, and make the issue of security
of any aspect for them a moot point.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!