Solution (mostly) found. The problem is with a misconfiguration of the Fecora Core 4 http configuration tool: the tool doesn't know about the split in configuration files in core 4 (httpd.conf in /etc/httpd/conf, ssl.conf in /etc/httpd/ conf.d). ssl.conf already contains a Listen on 443 directive, so the listen on 443 directive which the configuration tool creates in httpd.conf is a duplicate, and causes a duplicate listener problem.

I'll report the bug on bugzilla (my solution is to comment out the listent directive in ssl.conf, so I can still use the configuration tool). I'm still left with one relatively minor problem. Fedora has a nice Makefile support for creating certificates, including self-signed certificates, which is what I need. However there is no provision for creating a chain file, yet the configuration tool insists on there being one (it crashes otherwise). I put in a ca-bundle, and it appears to work, but it's clearly not the right solution. What should go there? Or is there an appropriate way to create my own chain file? Or is the configuration tool just wrong in insisting on one?

    Thanks for any suggestions
    Bob McKay