Well the AllowOverride manages what you are allowed to configure in
.htacces

Order deny, allow
deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1

This manage who can access these server from where.
In your case you can only access from 127.0.0.1 aka. localhost your
computer

See the docs  for more details

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/access.html

Mario