On Tuesday 10 Nov 2009 19:42:09 John M. Gamble wrote:
> Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> > * Ryan Voots <simcop2...@yahoo.com> [2009-11-09 15:20]:
> >> I Thought the typical convention was to try to find some other
> >> root namespace to put things in rather than making yet another
> >> one?
> >
> > No one browses CPAN by namespace any more, so it hardly matters.
>
> Ahem.  Just because it's deliberately made difficult to do so doesn't
> mean that no one does it.
>
> In particular the Math and Algorithm namespaces are something I browse
> through often, and I
> doubt that I'm the only one.

Yeah. I should note that now that I've started contributing to CPANHQ (see
http://perlbuzz.com/2009/07/introducing-cpanhq.html ) I've been thinking of
implementing a dynamic category tree, similar to the Sourceforge.net/old-
Freshmeat.net trove categorisation, only somewhat more suitable to Perl and
CPAN. People didn't like my suggestion for a list of canonical categories
besides the keywords section at the META.yml, but I think I can use the
keywords section for that by doing "cat/t/topic/word-proc" keywords (or
alternatively keep the database in an external place). I don't intend to
depend on the authors alone - by all means ordinary surfers will be able to
tag or categorise stuff too (though that would be with less weight).

Also see this post to the wikimedia-L on why I think free-form tags have not
completely superseded category trees:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-October/055734.html

I should note that as great as the hierarchical organisation of the Perl 5
namespaces is (and by infusion CPAN's), it still can be misleading. If you're
looking for an OOP module, you are likely to look under Object- or Class- -
not under "Moose". I don't want to have hard rules against keeping things in
proper order, I'm just saying that we need a more semantic categorisation
system than the Perl 5 namespaces.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

What does "Zionism" mean? - http://shlom.in/def-zionism