On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Dana Hudes wrote:

Arthur your ignorance is apalling
Go look at what ORCA does
SAR doesn't give you the info
With ORCA i have any thing from kstat or iostat. It goes into roundrobin
database with rrdtool.

Procallaotr does for linux what
orcallator does for solaris where it is the standard performance toool

*My* ignorance is appalling?  Let's see, in this discussion alone you've
shown us that:

  * you didn't know of a decade-old support for multiple HTTP requests
    over a single TCP connection existed
  * you claimed that rsync & ftp are stateful, when they're obviously
    not
  * you obviously had zero clue of the I/O impacts of running an rsync
    server (with the massive number of stats per request)
  * apparently you don't know that SAR gives you everything in iostat,
    vmstat, etc. as well.

And based on all this, I'm willing to bet you don't understand how RRD works, particularly with how the archive data is stored.

I never claimed that SAR is better than the other tools, but it's
universally available on UNIX (and clones) making it an excellent global
tool for use on heterogenous systems platforms, and more than capable of
identifying architectural bottlenecks with virtually no overhead.  That
makes it a necessity.

Don't try to cover up your previously displayed areas of ignorance by
pursuing a pointless and very stupid tangent.  That's not the point of this
discussion.

        --Arthur Corliss
          Live Free or Die