On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:21:32PM -0800, Linda W wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:

> > BTW not everyone uses gcc.
> What compiler on linux -- where perl was born, would you suggest?

Perl 5 was developed on SunOS.
I don't know what platform Perl 1 was developed on.

Perl 1 was released in December 1987, and predates Linux and ANSI C.
Curiously, gcc was first released in May 1987.

> If it doesn't work on freely available and unencumbered tools (i.e.
> nothing more restrictive than the license on perl), then wouldn't it
> violate the implied site license?

No. Because there is no implied site licence. I don't know where that idea
came from.

And you're also incorrect in implying that gcc is not more restrictive than
Perl. It is. gcc is GPL only. Perl is under a dual licence, GPL or Artistic.
The Artistic License permits one to make a binary only release using the
Perl source code providing one doesn't pass it off as Perl.

You seem to be basing a chunk of your reasoning on a lot of false
assumptions.

Nicholas Clark