Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:21:32PM -0800, Linda W wrote:
Dana Hudes wrote:

BTW not everyone uses gcc.
What compiler on linux -- where perl was born, would you suggest?

Perl 5 was developed on SunOS.
I don't know what platform Perl 1 was developed on.

Perl 1 was released in December 1987, and predates Linux and ANSI C.
Curiously, gcc was first released in May 1987.
-----
I was first exposed to Perl3 on SunOS, ... as for my statement 'born on linux... I' too often confuse linux with Unix, as it's seems the only largely supported and most freely available.... but I know it's not the entire market and I used it on SunOS, before Linux was born, so .. sorry for my slip. I didn't really start writing in it until Perl4, though,I think -- still at Sun...

No. Because there is no implied site licence. I don't know where that idea
came from.

And you're also incorrect in implying that gcc is not more restrictive than
Perl. It is. gcc is GPL only. Perl is under a dual licence, GPL or Artistic.
The Artistic License permits one to make a binary only release using the
Perl source code providing one doesn't pass it off as Perl.

You seem to be basing a chunk of your reasoning on a lot of false
assumptions.

Nicholas Clark
----
no... no no assumptions, just a quick response rather than my usual 1-3 compose time, cuz, people were making silly remarks in my direction.. so I claim a certain amount of latitude
in responding to such...

As for fine details in licensing... those may be important to some, and I ain't implying nothing -- the implication is all yours! More to the point -- if I have to buy a compiler to use a perl module because it only works with some proprietary compiler -- that's _more_than_ a _little_ like Bait and Switch...

   Too often, I try to adopt the casual, not thoroughly thought through
style of those who respond to me, and well, there  ya go....

;-)..

My original reasoning is quite rational -- though not based in popularity, I admit. For best respect, responses to specific emails should be weighed in the context of those emails... though, for exact details and 100% accurate recall -- I tried to write a prog for that, but based all on some CPAN modules that kept eating perl...(crashing it)... so I had to give up.