Here are my notes:

Prerequisites:

upgrade ruby gems (gem update --system)
verify that the currently installed version of mongrel is 1.1.5 or later and
if it isn't:
uninstall mongrel (gem uninstall mongrel)
install mongrel (gem install mongrel)
verify that the currently installed version of mongrel_service is 0.4.beta3
or later and if it isn't:
uninstall mongrel_service (gem uninstall mongrel_service)
install mongrel_service (gem install mongrel_service)
use gem list and verify that the mongrel_service installed is 0.4 or later.
If it isn't, you need to take these extra steps:
uninstall mongrel_service (gem uninstall mongrel_service)
install mongrel_service 0.4.beta3 (gem install mongrel_service --pre)
verify that the correct mongrel service has been installed by typing
mongrel_service at the dos prompt. Which should produce output like:
Mongrel Windows Service, version 0.4.beta2
(c) 2006-2010 The Mongrel development team.

mongrel_service is not designed to run form commandline,
please use mongrel_rails service:: commands to create a win32 service.

If the version is less than 0.4.beta2, you need to manually copy the new
mongrel_service.exe. On my system, Ruby is installed in C:\Ruby and I would
have to copy the file:

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mongrel_service-0.4.beta3\resources\mongrel_s
ervice.exe
to folder:
  C:\Ruby\bin

Finally, navigate to the folder holding the RoR application and invoke these
commands to uninstall/install the service:

mongrel_rails service::remove  -N APALSvc

mongrel_rails service::install -N APALSvc -D "AutoPallet/AutoLoader Service"
-c "D:/Development/APAL6/APALUI" -e production -p 3035 --log log/mongrel.log

Cheers
Pete