On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:27:49PM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> Hmm. Looking at common tools (like ls, chmod or whatever), restriction
> to pwd is the default, and recursiveness must explicitly be requested,
> like per '-R' option (OK, not possible with ls, of course). 'find' is
> one of the notable exceptions, where recursiveness is the default, and
> limitation to pwd or level of recursiveness is requested per
> 'maxdepth'.
>
> I've seen the term 'depth' already being used somewhere, I think it
> was the revision history depth of the log command, so there might be
> some risk of confusing people.

("chmod" acts on a whole directory as a unit too, though in a
different sense...)

Yeah, --depth is taken.  Could use --prune or something, like find, I
guess?

> But to meet user intuition somehow, I guess either of the above
> approaches might serve as a model.

It actually had never occurred to me that one might expect giving a
directory to mean "only the first level of stuff in that directory";
maybe we need a straw poll on what people's intuitions here are?

Part of the problem is that "commit dir/" just can't mean "commit
changes in the top level of dir/, but nothing below that".  I mean...
I dunno, I can't imagine that being reasonable.  So, there's a theory
which says that everything else should be consistent with "commit" --
for "diff" and "status", I think, this argument is very powerful;
"diff foo" should show exactly the same changes as "commit foo" will
commit.  Works for "revert" too, really; "diff" should show exactly
what "revert" will throw away.  For the ls family of commands, I guess
one could make an argument either way; "consistency with ls(1)" vs.
"consistency with the rest of monotone".

[snip]
> >> Generally, I'm wondering whether it's possible to get rid off the
> >> requirement the user entering MT relative paths at all, e.g. by taking
> >> pwd into account.
> >
> > Yeah, that we haven't already is just a bug.  Do you know of any
> > commands besides log that do this?
>
> Not right now, but if you are interested in reports I might give them
> as I go through the features resp. give summaries at specific
> points.

I don't think there are any others, but if you do find some, please
let us know!

> First though I hope to maybe ask some other questions in the
> near future which have been kind of puzzling me these recent days ...

Please feel free...

-- Nathaniel

--
"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an