At 3:29 PM -0800 12/6/04, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

How about this for a strawman: would anyone on this list object to calling LukeJr's GammaMOO "LambdaMOO 2.0", assuming a) LukeJr was willing to do that, b) LukeJr was willing to put it into the public CVS tree on SourceForge (or elsewhere). Other people who can be deemed trustworthy can be given checkin privs.

Some friends and I use lambdaMOO for a chat-server that we run. One of those friends tried to move our code over to gammaMOO, because he was interested in switching the chat server to support unicode. But he ran into some problems with it, and eventually gave up on it. I do not know the details. He had not worked on lambdaMOO before this, so maybe it was a problem which would seem obvious to me but made no sense to him.

We have a few custom changes to lambdaMOO, and I've been thinking
of wrapping that up as a pseudo-fork.  Our chat server is called
'lily', so I would just call our fork 'lilyMOO'.  We haven't done
all that much really interesting in MOO source, but every time
someone goes to build lily they end up getting some *other*
snapshot of the official lambdaMOO, and then they run into
various problems because they don't have our fixes.

One thing I'd like to put into our snapshot of MOO are the
changes for 'waifs', that Ben had done.  The lily project could
use that to clean up a lot of our own code, assuming we were ever
motivated-enough to really work on it.  It's a little tough to get
motivated, when what we have for the MOO layer does "basically work",
and it stays up for over a year at a shot without any problems.

In an earlier message, Daniel Jung wrote:

We are about to release a new enCore version soon. It will be unicode, so we converted the database/server to unicode as well. We wonder if we should bundle the thing with the new enCore release, well aware of the drawbacks of such a forking; so we still _wonder_.

I am not sure what you meant here. Do you have an "enCore version of MOO", the way I have a "lily version of lambdaMOO"?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]