About 25 years ago, there was an ad in a Pennysaver-type  weekly paper here
in L.A. for a "Frankenstein 7 Foot Statue" being sold for  $75.  I would check
the paper every week religiously when it came out on  Thursdays and
immediately call if anything sounded promising.  On this  particular Thursday,
something
"important" came up and I somehow didn't get  around to making the call about
the "statue".  I remember I couldn't sleep  that night, kicking myself for
not contacting the person who'd placed the ad. My  "rational" mind told me--
"this thing is probably some blow-up, dumb piece of  garbage from the 70's or
80's that isn't worth anything---it COULDN'T be!   I mean--the guy--whoever he
is-- only wants 75 bucks for it!"
  I finally made the call at 10 the next morning---the guy who owned  it told
me that the probable buyer was walking up his driveway at that very
moment---"but if he doesn't buy it", the guy told me, "I'll call you  back".
Of course, he didn't call me back. The buyer had paid the $75 and left with
it.  I asked the seller about it and he said it was a full-sized 7-foot
likeness of Boris Karloff used in the movie "Frankenstein".  I remember
telling
myself that he must have been mistaken---I couldn't admit to myself that  I'd
missed out on something so incredible....
  Flash forward 3 or 4 years--- I had listed a movie poster for sale  in the
same weekly publication.  To make a long story short, a man  called me and
after speaking with him for awhile I discovered that he was the  guy who was
walking up the driveway a few years earlier...the guy who bought the
Frankenstein
"statue" that I'd missed out on because I was a day late with my  phone call.
 The "statue" turned out to be a 7 foot tall "stand-in" for  Boris Karloff
from The Bride Of Frankenstein.  It was dressed with the  original wardrobe of
the monster and had a life-mask of Karloff as its  face.  The guy told me the
face needed a little restoration--but once that  was completed he was going to
put it up for auction somewhere.  Looking  back now, I can't believe that I
never asked him if I could swing by and take a  look at it.  Those were the
early days of my collecting.  It's been  quite a long time and I really can't
remember how our whole conversation  went...
   Flash forward again...2 years.  I remember looking at  Movie Collector's
World or possibly even the L.A. Times---I'm not really sure  which.  Anyway,
there was a short article about a movie memerobilia auction  ( it was called
Guernsey's) that included what I'm sure was the very same  Karloff stand-in
statue from The Bride Of Frankenstein---that I could have had  for 75
bucks---having sold for $50,0000!    This was probably in  1988. I don't know
where that
incredible piece is now, but I have no doubt that  in today's market it would
easily sell for a million bucks!  And I coulda  had it for $75!  For me, THAT'S
the one that got away!
                                                             Rick
                                                            rixposterz

favorites at AOL Food.