wow Rick that made my heart cringe...:) geeeesssssh.. great story.

I have so damn many that Got away its hard to think of ones that I actually got to keep. and sell . :)

heres a few of my classics.... one day the phone rings and it was Dick Smith's son ( Dick Smith did exorsist special effects amoungst other monster make-up) well Dick had moved from NYC to florida and his sons had all these original Props.. like horrific heads of latex with movable parts.... well it was so scarey looking to my son and I .. we didnt Buy it,,, true story... It spooked the hell out of us... and I just found the fax the other day that still can see the Images of the heads.. they looked like altered states...
I could have got them for small change...But we were spooked!!!

Then another classic is the day a guy walked in my shop/// he was a security gaurd in La for prodcuer Mario Cassar that did the Rambo films... he pulls out a Rambo knife out of his waistband and says will you give me 100.00 I say how do I know its the real Rambo knife so I look at the sheath and it Had the knifmaker nae in Tenn... I call they say.. " yes its one of 3 made for Stallone and Kassar" Its been stolen... The guy is lookin at me with sweat dripping and a survival knife that looks very deadly... I say.. " thanks But no thanks" get me a letter saying its Yours... they said the knife was worth 8000.00 or 3 I cannot remember..

Then ther was a trio I made to NYC and visited a old Motion picture Lab.. in Manhatten.... I was looking to buy old gear when I sawa old moviola type thing...It had a plaque from Vitagraph studios,,, so Im thinking OOOh wow they will want bux for this.... so i didnt make a offer till I returned home... I call and say well how about 800.00 to start....? te guy said that boat anchore ?? we thru it out in the garbage last week ! pure history trashed...

yep..... I found the couch used in GWTW in which Gable ducks.. in Findly OHIO in a hotel for 600.00

and by the time I called Herb Bridges to see if he wanted it It was sold...... It was from the MGM auction and I had a newspaper done in 70s that told the story........ yep...

Found several Planet of ape items.... sold.....

and I tried to sell a OscarĀ® on ebay only to have the academy almost lynch me...:)

could have had Flnns Robin Hood stuff as a friend knew his Chaperone in Chico Ca where they made Robin Hood..

Could have had the baby Buggy from GWTW... Most of the time its been the money part when its found.

I could have bought numerous effects from Linwood Dunne asc. who did many specal effects when he passed like the Fire truck from Itts amad mad mad mad world... however I felt wrong to buy from someone that had just passed aways family.. Same when Mel Blanc passed. I never asked and it was sold thru superior auctions... ( tons of stuff).. It always seems tacky to me and dis-respectful..

But in the long run its been a great time and I feel lucky i was able to even get this close to stuff like that

and Im sure there are many more items... out there

great story Rick!!!

best, Tom

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

About 25 years ago, there was an ad in a Pennysaver-type weekly paper here in L.A. for a "Frankenstein 7 Foot Statue" being sold for $75. I would check the paper every week religiously when it came out on Thursdays and immediately call if anything sounded promising. On this particular Thursday, something "important" came up and I somehow didn't get around to making the call about the "statue". I remember I couldn't sleep that night, kicking myself for not contacting the person who'd placed the ad. My "rational" mind told me-- "this thing is probably some blow-up, dumb piece of garbage from the 70's or 80's that isn't worth anything---it COULDN'T be! I mean--the guy--whoever he is-- only wants 75 bucks for it!" I finally made the call at 10 the next morning---the guy who owned it told me that the probable buyer was walking up his driveway at that very moment---"but if he doesn't buy it", the guy told me, "I'll call you back". Of course, he didn't call me back. The buyer had paid the $75 and left with it. I asked the seller about it and he said it was a full-sized 7-foot likeness of Boris Karloff used in the movie "Frankenstein". I remember telling myself that he must have been mistaken---I couldn't admit to myself that I'd missed out on something so incredible.... Flash forward 3 or 4 years--- I had listed a movie poster for sale in the same weekly publication. To make a long story short, a man called me and after speaking with him for awhile I discovered that he was the guy who was walking up the driveway a few years earlier...the guy who bought the Frankenstein "statue" that I'd missed out on because I was a day late with my phone call. The "statue" turned out to be a 7 foot tall "stand-in" for Boris Karloff from The Bride Of Frankenstein. It was dressed with the original wardrobe of the monster and had a life-mask of Karloff as its face. The guy told me the face needed a little restoration--but once that was completed he was going to put it up for auction somewhere. Looking back now, I can't believe that I never asked him if I could swing by and take a look at it. Those were the early days of my collecting. It's been quite a long time and I really can't remember how our whole conversation went... Flash forward again...2 years. I remember looking at Movie Collector's World or possibly even the L.A. Times---I'm not really sure which. Anyway, there was a short article about a movie memerobilia auction ( it was called Guernsey's) that included what I'm sure was the very same Karloff stand-in statue from The Bride Of Frankenstein---that I could have had for 75 bucks---having sold for $50,0000! This was probably in 1988. I don't know where that incredible piece is now, but I have no doubt that in today's market it would easily sell for a million bucks! And I coulda had it for $75! For me, THAT'S the one that got away!
                                                            Rick
                                                            rixposterz

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001>.