  From: Patrick Michael Tupy
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

  OMG, Rick, you win...I don't know if there is a prize for the biggest 'one
that got away', but if there is, it's yours!

  So, for me, it was around 2000 when I was a neophyte Movie Poster
admirer/collector and so I was just learning
  the ropes and into trying to win items on Ebay.  I'd sit nervously at my
computer and watch as my bid was upped
  and I'd respond, and so on...

  And so there I'd be, I'd watch anxiously, and for each auction there was a
meeting of prayer, hopes, dreams and lustful longing,
  and more than a healthy dose of hoping my dial-up connection would actually
bid if it was near the end of an auction.
  For at this time it was not uncommon to be locked out when I'd bid with two
or more minutes left due to that 'lightning-fast'
  dial-up speed.  Those weren't the days...

  Well, I spied something truly remarkable on one of Bruce's auctions; a rough
but beautiful 1921 French 1 panel for Harold Lloyd's
  first 'full-length' feature, A SAILOR MADE MAN.  I was surprised but happy
that there appeared to be only one other bidder but, sadly,
  my prayers weren't answered and I was out-bid by a more savvy bidder, a
journeyman to my rookie status.  So, after kicking myself for
  a while, I decided to contact the winning bidder.  He was very kind and told
me his intention was to have it cleaned and restored/linenbacked
  and he told me that he'd get in touch with me when it was backed and
beautiful.

  So we met up after it was finished and it was, to me,  truly gorgeous.  I
offered to buy it on the spot and he simply set a fair price.

  And that's how I got back "the one that got away."  It is still my favorite
poster.

  Thanks, Freeman!

  Patrick

  ps: if you'd like to see a pic of the poster - framed by Sue Heim -  it is
here (click on the image to enlarge):

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/