  From: FRANC MARTARELLA
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] hollywood poster auction & DISCUSSION

        I think Collectible Shows and on-site auctions can still have the edge.
I just got back from Cinevent and it's great to connect with dealers and buyers
I haven't seen all year and nothing, not even a super-image zoom, can replace
holding a poster or lobby cards in your hands to see the artwork, color,
texture  etc. Besides which it's tedious to go through all the Heritage or
Bruce Hershenson listings to check condition and I lose interest one quarter of
the way through.

        That said, I found this year's Cinevent to be a someone subdued affair.
Unfortunately the economy has taken its toll on the art of collecting movie
ephemera. Most of the dealers were complaining that sales were slow and I don't
think Morrie going to count this one as his most financially successful auction
either.

        Part of the problem for me is that disgusting hotel the Cinevent insist
on using. Their business center had no capacity to print anything, given that
their printers were all down and had been apparently for some time. The rooms
either smell of disinfectant or stale cigarettes. The air- conditioner in my
room was dead and had to be changed. The restaurant doesn't even look clean and
wake-up calls were ignored by the front desk.  The auction room was decided
hot, so much so I couldn't sit in that room for more than an hour at a time and
Morrie seemed to be experiencing technical problems throughout. I've made a
decision to stay elsewhere ...anywhere else... next year. I only wish the
Cinevent management would wise up and follow suit.   FRANC