Aw, c'mon guys... of course Ebay wants to control everything about its auction site. If any of us owned Ebay we would want to do the same -- business is business. The things people are complaining about are hardly "latest changes" -- this was all old news back in 1998 when I first started selling on Ebay. Even at that point they would not allow a new username to be registered with a .dot com in it and it was *always* against Ebay policy guidelines for Ebay bidders and buyers to contact each other to try and do a deal off outside of the Ebay system. Back then, their system was so transparent (accidentally, not by design or intent) that they didn't really have any way of preventing it, and so it happened a lot. And I mean a lot. I did it, so did most others who were around back then. Ebay finally started actively campaigning against off-site transactions in 2000 and by 2003 had made it much more difficult for bidders and buyers to get together outside of the Ebay system. But you can still do it today: All you have to do is send the seller a question using the Ebay mail system -- and don't check the "hide my address from the seller" box -- and indicate in the message that you want to talk about something and that the seller is "welcome" to reply to you "personally". If seller is so inclined he will get what you mean and send you a reply to your private address with his private address and then you reply to him -- viola, you're both doing business off the Ebay site.

-- JR

Bruce Hershenson wrote:
It's worse than you know! They not only are trying to move *ALL* communication (even after-sale communication) to being forced through their own system, but they want to make it a "crime" to contact biders or buyers any other way than through their system! I *USED* to think having a dotcom user ID (emovieposter.com <http://emovieposter.com>) meant something, but now it really doesn't. And it is just a matter of time before they take those away too. It is like living in a ghetto 100 years ago. First the authorities take one "right" away from the ghetto dwellers, and they say, "well, we can deal with that" and then they take away another, and another, and another, until finally no one has any rights left at all, Bruce