Sorry, Rich, I gotta disagree with you and Steve there.

We're not talking about $200 posters... we're talking about $20,000 and up being paid for fakes that are now being done so skillfully that they will fool "educated, informed buyers" and maybe even a lot of old hands.
From this day forward, any auction house/dealer who does not take
responsibility and engage in "due diligence" by getting a true independent 3rd party real expert verification prior to offering such a pricey item as a "genuine original" is indeed a villain. I'm not talking about the past -- although this sort of thing obviously should have been done all along on such items and we wouldn't have the situation we now have -- but I *am* talking about how auctioneers/dealers should proceed in the future with very pricey items, now that we know these kind of high-end fakes exist (and can continue to be created).

Now that the Black Cat is out of the Son of Frankenstein's bag, who would be willing to spend $20,000 or more on a poster *without* a verification from an independent, third party recognized expert in the field?

Anybody still willing to roll those dice -- now that we know what we know?

-- JR

Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:
Kudos to Steve