good to know those are out there and being used by some, if not many.

best.

Jeff

On Sep 5, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Todd Feiertag wrote:

Michael,

Of course, keep the poster till you find one in better shape. That has always been my philosophy.

Also, there is some good news, especially since you have very little invested in the poster. I haven't looked at your images but you mention that there is fading in the red lettering....red is usually the first color to fade.

Ok, the good news...there are translucent paints which are now used by some restorers, including Jaime...yes, I know, Jaime. By using these translucent colors, you're not completely painting over an image but enhancing it, so to speak as you can see through this type of paint. I know that Jaime used these paints on the $100,000.00 FREAKS 14x36, so if it was good enough for a $100,000.00 FREAKS Insert, it should be good enough for your THIRD MAN Insert and will really make it a lot more presentable and also worth more if you decide to sell it sometime down the road.

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 15:35:58 -0400
From: dialmbb...@aol.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] assessing fading
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

CLARIFICATION TO MY ORIGINAL POST:

I RECEIVED a few pvt emails, and of course the ones through MOPO. everyone seems to believe a rare poster should be kept, no what what. or.....keep it until a better condition comes along. my original post which is printed below gives 2 links to images.....BUT 1 MAGE IS SUPER BOLD AND RED, THE OTHER LACKS THE VIVID COLORS. is it the camera? hose service?

mine clearly lacks the bold red lettering at the top, and the deep brown hair to VALLI and other sun damage.

i have no money invested in it.......less than 20.00 with shipping. i could surely consign it to bruce, who would get 500--- and he would show the fading with his supersized image. he got 935 for the only orig he only sold; heritage sold just one, also, for 1000+.

QUESTION: DO YOU KEEP A POSTER THAT IS RARE & HAS FADING? It is otherwise clear, except for a corner piece, chip missing. The NSS is clear---showing it is the 1949 original. The reissue with very similar art sells for 300plus.

---
---
---
orig post:
---

i just purchased THE THIRD MAN orig insert. i am trying to assess the fading to my poster.

here is my dilemma:

image at heritage:
    http://www.emovieposter.com/imagearchive/poster/215212.html   and
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php? Sale_No=601&Lot_No=16099

image at emovieposter:
  http://www.emovieposter.com/imagearchive/poster/215212.html

mine is clearly faded. that was stated prior to my purchase, but the Price was Right.

fading is probably one of the worst defects, WOULD YOU KEEP/DISPLAY A RARE posters? this poster has been on my want list for 5 years plus!!!!

michael
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com

HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.