true John
but I really don't think myself that "Bad seller; he has the ethics of a used car salesman." really goes past the line.. if so, ebay would have removed it

I think it's clear the seller is a moron just by looking at the way he handles ebay anyhow (I accept feedback, not important enough for me to leave feedback) and the # of negs he has a seller..

At 01:57 PM 4/12/2010, JOHN REID Vintage Movie Memorabilia wrote:
Very interesting. This is not the first time this has happened. eBay warns buyers to be factual and not use emotive language when leaving feedback and there is a good reason for that. There have been many times when buyers have left themselves open to law suits by going over the top with their negative comments. Website: www.moviemem.com <http://www.moviemem.com> JOHN REID VINTAGE MOVIE MEMORABILIA
PO Box 92
Palm Beach
Qld 4221
Australia

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Bruce Hershenson <mailto:brucehershen...@gmail.com>
    To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
    <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
    Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:30 PM
    Subject: [MOPO] Florida man sued for $15k over negative eBay remark

      *Fla. man sued for $15k over negative eBay remark*

          *The Associated Press*

    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Can posting your opinion on eBay cost you
    in real life?

    So far Michael Steadman has spent $7,000 for his, and he isn't
    yet done defending himself in a $15,000 defamation lawsuit
    brought by the man who sold him a reportedly defective time clock.

    Steadman bought the clock for $44 in 2008, and said it arrived in
    three pieces that didn't fit together or even seem to be the same
    model. He got a refund through PayPal's buyer protection plan and
    sent the merchandise back, but wanted other potential buyers to
    beware.

    So on the profile of emiller1313, he wrote: "Bad seller; he has
    the ethics of a used car salesman."

    Steadman thought that was the end of it until a process server
    arrived with a court summons.

    It turned out that emiller1313 was a Miami Beach lawyer, and he
    wanted damages for ruining his 100 percent customer approval
    rating and "commercial reputation."

    "The laws don't work for us. Because I don't have the money to
    fight them, I'm losing," Steadman said. "It's not right. I'm
    speechless."

    Steadman recently lost his lawyer in the Miami-Dade County Court
    case because he ran out of funds.

    Seller Elliot Miller said in the lawsuit the time clock was
    "plainly offered for sale with the following language: 'we can
    not give you any guarantees and must offer it on an as-is,
    where-is basis only.'"

    Steadman said he joined eBay about six months earlier hoping to
    find bargains for his new welding shop. He thought he lucked out
    on the time clock, which he said Miller advertised as tested and
    proven to work.

    Now, he says, "I warn everyone that goes online not to leave
    feedback."
    Read more:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/11/1574322/fla-man-sued-for-15k-over-negative.html#ixzz0ksez4H4E

        <http://www.filmfan.com>