From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of David
Kusumoto
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:17 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Once again, in 2012, over HALF the items we auctioned
sold for $14 or less!

In my view, this is a creative/iconoclastic/against-the-grain ad.  I don't
know many businesses that can effectively market in "several directions" at
once, e.g., touting good results for premium items and "great buys" for
lesser items, the latter a means to reach "shallow pocket" common collectors
who might otherwise feel alienated by multi-thousand dollar posters.  And
then there's the consignment end - whereby dealers know there are few places
where their sitting inventory can get greater exposure every week - to
thousands of loyal customers - without hassling with grading, photographing,
packing and shipping items with high grade materials to buyers.  Thus
dealers know their only "real" heavy lifting - involves shipping their
languishing inventory to a consignment enterprise in one big batch.  PR /
news guys like me are always intrigued by the different ways creative
businesses market "discretionary" items during a sluggish economy.  While
movie posters aren't necessary like food, creating temptation for buyers to
snare a great deal for under $5 plus shipping - up to three times a week -
is a good thing. -d.

  _____