Ebay has a spotted history, for sure. But they have a wide reach and they are a
good pathway to selling lesser posters.  I like the managed payments better
than what went before.  The accounting is simpler, for sure.

The credit card companies, on the other hand, are now keeping their fees for
RETURNED sales.  They did not do this at one time, but about a year ago they
started.  And
this bleeds into all processors, too.  (Ebay returns the final value fees which
include their commission for finding a buyer and all other charges and costs.)

Paypal, for example.  Let's say one sells a $2000 poster via paypal, that the
buyer paid for with a credit card.  And then the poster is returned.  Let's say
your merchant fee for credit cards is 2.5%.  VISA / MASTERCARD keeps $50.
Let's say your cost for the poster was $1000.  After this, it is effectively
$1050.

American Express also does this, whether you are a direct AMEX customers or
whether you process their cards through a third party (like Paypal).

This happened to me with a $4500 poster. ($94.50)  I was livid.  I managed to
talk paypal into refunding the money, but they told me in no uncertain terms
that if it happened again they were keeping the money.

I was angry with Paypal, and so I went to Chase (my bank) to set up alternate
credit card processing.  Chase does it too.  But the Chase employee told me,
it's not
Chase that is doing this, it's the credit card companies.  A representative at
AMEX claims that they have always done this, but I am skeptical.  With
VISA/MASTERCARD this practice went into effect over a year ago.  Obviously,
with a $50. item, this is no biggie to sellers, but there is NO CAP on this
practice.

I am surprised that I have not heard more from sellers about this.

In my view, this is almost theft.

But it's legal, because sellers agree to it in their credit card processing
agreements, which I doubt that most sellers even read.

It's not like VISA/MASTERCARD doesn't make TRILLIONS already.

Really, this makes Ebay's stuff look like nothing.

I am not sure if this is the same in every country, but it is in the U.S.

IF ANYONE HAS DIFFERENT INFORMATION THAN THIS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, I'D LOVE TO
HEAR ABOUT IT.

Kirby McDaniel
movieart.com