Dmb,

The mind reifies; that's the key to my understanding.  Here again is my
definition of the Intellectual Level:

The Intellectual Level, the fourth level, is comprised of static patterns of
value such as theology, mathematics, science and philosophy. The way that these
patterns function is as reified concepts and the rules for their rational
analysis and manipulation.  Reification decontextualizes.  Intellectual
patterns process from a subject/object conceptual framework creating false
boundaries that give the illusion of independence as a “thing” or an “object of
analysis.”  The fourth level is a formalized subject/object level (SOM), where
the paramount demand is for rational, objective knowledge, which is free from
the taint of any subjectivity like emotions, inclinations, fears and
compulsions in order to pursue, study and research in an unbiased and rational
manner.

Marsha