"Does the dog have Buddha Nature?" a monk asks."

http://www.everydayzen.org/index.php?Itemid=26&task=viewTeaching&topic=Koan+Studies&sort=title&option=com_teaching&id=135

Although Master Wumen wants us to experience reality beyond our word logic (and
we must do this), in the end we are stuck with words — with discrimination,
desire, action — for this is our human life. The wisdom Zhaozho is showing us
in this story is a wisdom that operates both beyond and in the ordinary world,
the world of language and desire. Our human condition is paradoxical because
our minds operate through separation and reification, through definition and
objectification; but our life is larger than our mind. To take up Zhaozho's way
of practice is to feel and to live beyond our human need to define and
understand — even as we go on defining and understanding. There's no way to do
this without contemplative practice of some sort — whether our practice is to
immerse ourselves in Mu, just do zazen patiently for many years, or some other
way to allow our fundamental nature to grab hold of us by the scruff of the
neck so that we can experience our lives as the really are. But there is also
no way to do this without some ability to hold our minds and emotions in a new
way, a lighter and more open and willing way, so that our everyday words,
thoughts, and deeds are reflective of a larger life than the one we can name
and think about.

___