Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail ?

Or (for dmb), can you tell the green slime from your feet of clay ?

The distinction between levels 1 and 2 is "life" - not necessarily
organic life, or DNA-based organic life, that just happens to be the
most-obvious form in the circumstances of human history. Just life.

Now, defining life .... replication is a key part of it, but if you're
into splitting hairs you'll find everything comes in layers, including
the layers ....

Ian