Dear David,

Your post addresses a very important distinction between Western and Eastern
approaches to enlightenment (i.e.the conflict between allopathic and
holistic theory). The use of chemical agents to essentially tranquilize the
ego in order to remove the filters that it produces so that the world can be
seen as it really is may be a first step for the Western cynic to convince
himself/herself that there is something more than the apparent world that
his/her ego has conditioned him/her to believe is reality. However, unless
the novice takes the next step to see this complete world without the need
for chemical substance, he/she becomes dependent on the drug to replicate
the experience. Much like the morphine addict must continue to take his/her
morphine to control pain. That next step that must be taken might be in the
form of a lifetime devotion to understanding the I-Ching, a life devoted to
the teachings of the Buddha or the Christ, a mastery of TM (Ram Daas'
teachings have allowed many Westerners to live their lives constantly in
this natural state of consciousness), etc... However, Krishnamurti would
warn us that when initially learning methods and techniques of moving in and
out of various states of consciousness, we must never become too devoted to
any one technique, for it is through diversity that we grow as disciples of
the seemingly hidden but real world. While I began as a student of TM, I
have found in my later life that the I Ching is a source of never-ending
possibilities in the continuing discovery of this perfectly ordered
universe. I would be more than happy to prescribe study materials, if asked.

The Bard