Wim:
You are correct.  When I responded to Evolve's mescaline query I didn't have
a copy of Lila, so I was remembering my particular impression of what I had
actually read.  It's happened frequently that I will get a distinct
impression of something Pirsig said, and then when I try to find the exact
passage it seems "fuzzier" than I recall.  As a personal note, I have never
done hallucinogens, because if I ever find Nirvana (or whatever) I'd like to
be certain that it's not artificially induced, and I don't buy into the
premise that drugs are a bridge or gateway to higher consciousness.  When I
run into old acquaintances who have done their share of mind-altering
substances, something always seems to be "missing" from them, from my
perspective.  And wherever their mind is now is not something that appeals to
me.  I must admit to some great coke (cocaine) buzzes in the whirling 80s,
but the difficulties the day after, and the realization that I was acting
like an idiot, quickly put an end to my escapist activities.

Clarke