Hi Everyone:

For those who need objective evidence of Quality from *material
examples* (as Pirsig suggested in his September 2000 letter to Bo
Skutvik) here’s a wonderful compendium of specific examples from
Judge John Voelker, Michigan Supreme Court, retired,. author of
*Anatomy of Murder.*

Why I Fish.

I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are
found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where
crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all
the television commercials, cocktail parties and assorted social
posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to
spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an
endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout
do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by
power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless
patience. Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the
last time and I for one don’t want to waste to trip. Because mercifully
there are no telephones in trout waters. Because only in the woods can
I find solitude without loneliness. Because bourbon out of an old tine
cup always tastes better out there. Because maybe one day I will catch
a mermaid. And finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly
important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of
men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

Platt