Dear Colleagues,

I really appreciate your help with this. Indeed, there is a bit of
everything you mentioned in both the problem and the solution. I will try
to summarise it in case it can help someone else:

- File names: Indeed I had problems in the past with .obj files whose names
had spaces, as Thomas mentioned. This was not the case though (I learned my
lesson), but it could happen to someone else.

- Lack of software to do this in a very reliable way: as Bill mentioned,
there might be issues with accuracy by transforming an .obj with texture to
a coloured .ply. I will explore the use of Blender directly in .obj files
for landmark placing. I am not too worried about my data as the landmark
configuration corresponds to human faces (the texture will guide me in
placing landmarks in some curved places), where in my experience geometry
dimensions exceed small inaccuracies. But it is definitely something to
bear in  mind. Of course, I shall run tests to assess the effect of
measurement error on my data.

- The .obj texture files: a big problem seemed to be that the original data
had three .jpg files depicting texture. As Pablo mentioned, the "standard"
texture should be one file. So...

- ... Geomagic comes to rescue (maybe Blender does this too?): Anneke
suggested to use Geomagic, which indeed helps a lot. Antonio took my files
and helped me to generate in Geomagic the single-.png-file texture, which
can then be used to produce coloured .ply and .wrl files in Meshlab that
can be opened in Avizo (.wrl, for which an extra step in Geomagic is
needed), and in the R packages Geomorph and Morpho for landmark placing.

About Joes's comment, I do not believe .stl can hold colours, but I do not
have too much experience with the .stl format. The .obj format (as well as
.ply) has a relatively simple structure that describes the position in
space of faces and vertices plus other stuff and can be created "by hand"
using a text editor such as Notepad (I am sure you might have checked this
but just in case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file). I have
written .ply files in the past that worked very well for doing morphometric
analyses in R.

So, again thanks everyone for all the help!

Best wishes,
Viviana

Email:        mtoroibaca...@odontologia.uchile.cl