I agree with these comments but would like to add another point. I prefer to
think that the purpose of the PCA is to produce a low-dimension space that
captures as much of the overall variation (in a least-squares sense) as
possible. Within that space there is no need to limit the visualizations to the
extremes of each axis – one can investigate any direction within that space if
there is a pattern in the data that suggests an interesting direction. The
directions of the axes are mathematical constructs and not bases on any
biological principles. Perhaps one sees some clusters in the PCA ordination but
the variation within or between clusters need not be parallel to one of the PC
axes. One can then look in other directions. That is why the tpsRelw program
allows one to visualize any point in the ordination space – not just parallel
to the axes. That means for publication one has to decide which directions are
of interest – not just mechanically display the extremes of the axes.

F. James Rohlf New email: f.james.ro...@stonybrook.edu

Distinguished Professor, Emeritus. Dept. of Ecol. & Evol.

& Research Professor. Dept. of Anthropology

Stony Brook University 11794-4364

WWW: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/rohlf