Dear morphemetricians,

I am comparing cranial morphology in sub-species of baboons. Because the number
of variables in my analysis is close to number of individuals, I have chosen to
perform a between-groups PCA rather than a CVA and have done so using the
‘groupPCA’ function in the R package “Morpho”. When I explore shape changes
along the between-groups PCs, I notice an unexpected amount of asymmetry along
the PCs. Specifically, when I compare the shape at positive 3SD from the mean
to that at negative 3SD from the mean, the differences seem to be described to
some degree by differences in patterns of asymmetry. This seems very odd to me,
particularly because, after exploring the data extensively, I am convinced that
these asymmetries do not underlie the overall shape variation in the
sample—i.e., these differences in the patterns of asymmetry seem to be
contributing to differences among groups but not to the overall shape variation
in the sample.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have with regard to this issue.