Mahen,

Can you be specific with the error statement?  It might not me related to the
int.first use but more so how you set up your formula.  If ind$Stages and
ind$Location are in the data frame, you are asking R to create a model matrix
from dat in an environment within another environment.  This might cause some
problems.

Please let us know what the error says, and we can see if it is obvious.

Cheers!
Mike