Let me put some of the arguments in my own words and jargon to test my
understanding of what is being said.

Jim's response (One more thought.) reminds me of an argument that came
up at a meeting decades ago where some participants were arguing for the
superiority of Mahalanobis D as a "truer" measure of distance between
two multivariate objects than Euclidean or Manhattan distances.

If one looks at the matrix equations for Mahalanobis D they reduce to
the square root of the sum of independent F-tests.  Some people in that
era had the idea that D was more a reality because it combined
dimensions with a realistic perspective, i.e. by dividing the difference
component by its standard deviation.  I agree that we should not go down
that path in our thinking about Geometric Morphometrics and should keep
our geometry as close to the real world shapes as possible.

D did have its use.  It was able to be tested for significance while a
straight Euclidean distance could not be tested without understanding
the covariance matrix leading to D.  We are, if I am not mistaken, in
the same relative situation with Geometric Morphometrics.  In the D era
there was also a strong movement to ignore the original measures.  D
could actually be combining more than the 3 physical dimensions and
include measured qualities other than spatial making distance an
abstraction in hyperspace.  In that abstract hyperspace the
normalization of each dimension by the variance within that dimension
was logical.  Belief in the "reality" of D however was misplaced.  It
was a statistical test metric with significance but no direction to its
distance.

With Geometric Morphometrics I think we have a feeling that we may be
able to make sense of actual shapes and differences between shapes.  We
need to keep the shape aspects of our studies separate from the
covariances of those shapes with interesting covariates.  I am convinced
that I can study the shapes within an Analysis of Dispersion framework
(ie MANOVA/MANCOVA) as long as I keep my shape measures and my
covariates and experimental design elements well defined and separable
in my mind.  The question in my opinion is whether I can objectively
evaluate Fred's approach to see whether it presents a preferable
departure from my comfortable approach.  It would be good to set up some
objective comparisons but can we when the two approaches are as
different as I suspect?

Joe Kunkel
Biology Department
UMass Amherst
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Feb 5, 2004, at 9:25 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> One more thought.
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> In a univariate anova the distinction I made in the previous note is
> less clear. The "division" in an anova is by a scalar constant (square
> root of the error mean square) so that the relative differences
between
> pairs of means stays the same. The relative differences between pairs
> of
> means stays the same.
>
> In a MANOVA the "division" is by a matrix (the projection of the group
> means onto inversely weighted within-group eigenvectors) so that
> differences in some directions are stretched and differences in other
> directions are compressed. Unless the within-group covariance matrix
is
> proportional to an identity matrix, the relative distances between
> pairs
> of means will change - perhaps drastically.
>
> Thus the distinction between these two kinds of distances is
especially
> important for the analysis of multivariate data and one must think
> about
> their relevance for the questions you wish to ask.
>
> -----------------------
> F. James Rohlf
> State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5245
> www: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/rohlf
> ==
> Replies will be sent to list.
> For more information see