I am not so certain.  It was day four, a great group with only one new to
the district teacher, so trust levels were high.  As I noticed the struggle,
we quickly encouraged them to work in groups--which made an observable
difference in terms of stress levels.  When we debriefed the strategy, just
a couple talked about being uncomfortable with the idea of drawing. Others
talked a lot about struggling to make a mental image.  Know this, we had
worked with visualization with fiction and not met these difficulties.  In
all honesty, I believe that we under-estimated the difficulty these teachers
would have transferring a strategy across genre.  My partner felt she should
have modeled this more explicitly.  There are certainly some lessons to be
learned.

1.  Strategies have to be taught ACROSS genres and text types.
2.  The ability to use a strategy well can become genre specific.
3.   Model, model, model!!

Incidentally, this was such a great class to work with!  As a fairly new
district level coach coming from a primary classroom in the district, with a
partner who is very young and somewhat worried by how she would be perceived
because of that--I think we would both say we were nervous working with a
local audience. I have presented at regional and national conferences, and
was far more concerned about this class than any national presentation!! It
is easier to be the expert from 40 miles (or more away) that it is to
sometimes work with local teachers.  Our own concerns were put to rest--we
had an enjoyable week exploring strategy instruction.

Lori

--
Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor