Yep----24 out of 33 on intervention plans!  You just do it because you have
to.
But here's the supports that I have:

1.  A principal that let's me teach children-not a program.  Not follow a
prescribed one size fits all mentality but truly teaching kids what it is they
need to know to be successful.    Sad that not all principals aren't like
this.
You would think that would be the model-after all that is what I am-a
teacher-not a reader of a script.

2.  Two fantastic reading coaches.  They each take groups of my kids out during
the literacy block and before school to do interventions using F&P Leveled
Literacy Interventions.  Both are former reading recovery teachers so they
aren't reading a script either but giving the kids instruction right where they
are at.

3.  I took my absolute lowest student and tutored her before school as well.
Then I would have her do the Lexia computer intervention program immediately
when school started as she needed a LOT of intervention in phonemic awareness.
I also gave her and a few others double instruction in phonemic awareness. Then
I met with her (or TRIED to) 5 times a week in guided reading.  She was also in
one of the LLI groups.  For a period, the reading coach also took her out
separately to give her more phonemic awareness instruction and reading
instruction.

4.  That left me with about 8 kids on intervention that only met with me in the
classroom.  Plus the 2 kids that had attendance issues and started late.
And...the kids on grade level or above (9).  I also met with the kids the
coaches tok, so they also got guided reading in the classroom.  But,
mathmatically, there is no way I could have done it all without these two
wonderful ladies giving these kids extra guided reading instruction.

5.  Every single minute was used-not a moment could be wasted in the day.

6.  And again, a principal that lets me teach kids what they need to know to be
successful.

At the end of the year, if you just look at F&P reading levels as the "mark of
success" I have 14 kids that didn't make Level I (this years benchmark-next
year
J) I guess according to the legislators I wasn't successful and should be
fired.  But, the student who said synthesis is "changing our ideas and what we
know in our schema." she's a level G-BELOW-but she is growing and loving to
read.  She will be successful if she continues to get the instruction she
needs. And the rest of the kids grew as readers as well no matter what their
"level letter" says.

Sandi