I can't site the exact study,but there is research that some "gifted" kids
prefer to read more than one type of book. For certain kids this works
fine. Think about yourself as a reader. As adults, we read non-fiction (the
newspaper) and then have a must read book as well as a brain break book or
magazine? Sometimes it depends on what we feel like reading. A  voracious
reader will be able to juggle. However, 4th grade students can also be book
hopping and never connecting to any book. The more the reader struggles the
less they can handle.
Mary