Hi Jennifer,
Maybe this would be a good time to talk about what makes for good book group discussions???

I am leading a book group of teachers at school, and I found our first conversation to be disappointing to me. It was flat, and I was left feeling (maybe wrongly) that most people had not read the book. I gave everyone my questions a week ahead of time, and invited everyone to bring their own questions. I promise to respond to your ideas, but right now I'd like to know from the rest of you what you think needs to happen in a good book group discussion. Jan

Quoting "Palmer, Jennifer" <jennifer.pal...@hcps.org>:

Are you all still interested in Opening Minds???

I know I am behind in posting prompts but each prompt has had only a little bit
of interest. Maybe I need to work on my prompts a bit??? :-)

I am going to try again with a prompt...please feel free to post your own
thoughts or prompts if mine don't work for you.
Johnston talks about the problems with person-oriented praise: "Saying I am
proud of you has the same effect as saying I'm disappointed in you. It's just
the other end of the same conversation." ...and then later adds on page 40 when
talking about process rather than product oriented feedback "Trying is more
important than success." He states that process feedback is therefore more
important than praise because it gets students into the habit of explaining
successes and failures in the terms of strategy use--that it is less risky than praising effort because sometimes even 100% effort is not enough. These are some pretty powerful ideas... what are your reactions to these ideas? What have you been trying in your classroom in terms of changing your language
and how has it affected your students???

Jennifer