Part of the broader miscommunication here (assuming good faith, of course) seems to be around the
use of protocol names vs product names; using "SSH" and "Telnet" to refer to
protocols and not products. The protocol name SSP isn't well-known, and currently the public
recognise only the name of the canonical server software, which is Mosh.

In practice, people set up "an SSH server" and don't tend to remember the name
of the actual server software ... OpenSSH for example, or OpenSSH-Portable, which most
Linux distributions are actually using :-)

Mosh's own website says "Mosh is a replacement for SSH", which conflates the software
with the protocol. Perhaps "SSP is a replacement for SSH"? Of course, SSP is capable of
more than that as far as I can see, SSP isn't actually a replacement for SSH, but the Mosh
application uses SSP in order to replace users of SSH ...

Naming things seems to be one of the hardest things in computer science :-)
https://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html

And "mosh" is such an excellent name :-)

-jim

Excerpts from Keith Winstein's message of August 9, 2017 11:51 am:
I'm happy to explain our position further, and maybe you can understand why
this is important to us. Mosh is a piece of software, like OpenSSH or
Chrome. The protocol is called SSP (State Synchronization Protocol). You
have told us that your program is not derived from Mosh, so we really don't
want your company to call it Mosh. It's nothing personal -- but users are
better served knowing the difference. We had a bad experience with somebody
writing what they thought was a compatible implementation, and users
getting confused and blaming us. So we don't want users to think they are
running Mosh when they are running somebody else's application.

We would be fine with you making statements like, "Termius is
mosh-compatible" or "Termius has a mosh-compatible client" or even "Termius
works with Mosh servers." They key thing here is that it's fine for Termius
to claim mosh-compatibility, or to work *with* Mosh servers. It shouldn't
claim to *be* or to include Mosh, because it doesn't.

Yes, the text "SSH, Telnet, and Mosh in your pocket" and "... with SSH,
Telnet, and Mosh." appears on your current website, https://termius.com.
You can visit it yourself to see.

--
Jim Cheetham, Information Security, University of Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
✉ jim.cheet...@otago.ac.nz    ☏ +64 3 470 4670    ☏ m +64 21 279 4670