Hoping to find some open water and lots of waterfowl, I spent the weekend
birding primarily Grant county with a brief visit to Mud Lake and Traverse Lake
in Traverse county.

Most of the lakes in this area are still primarily frozen. The open water that
I did find had some waterfowl but was generally lacking in numbers and variety.
Sunday brought an increase in waterfowl compared to Saturday. With several days
of warm weather in the forecast, birding should pick up nicely in the coming
week.

For those looking to visit the North Ottawa Impoundment on the Grant/Traverse
county line, be aware that it is almost completely dry. There is only a narrow
band of water that rings the inside of the impoundment.  Unless this changes
there is no point in visiting here for "water" birds. It may be favorable for
shorebirds in a few weeks, but I would make inquires first before going out of
the way to visit here.

Regards...