Brian Z Jones wrote:

>> 3. On mailing lists, I usually didn't write the original message, and so
>>    there is no way I can remember "what I wrote".

I run my own mailing list for me and my friends.  Just a place for
people to spill their thoughts and for us to plan stuff and such.  It
gets a surprisingly high amount of traffic per day, for only like 7
active members.  Usually about 30 or 40 emails a day.  And everyone in
it except for me doesn't quote anything.  I get so completely lost
trying to figure out what is going on.  I'll see a message like:
"Yeah, that's a great idea"
with no text quoted, not even who they are replying to.  That's
impossible to follow.

If you quote below your reply, I read it like this:
"Yeah that's a great idea"
<scroll down and read original>
<scroll back up>
"Yeah that's a great idea"

And now I understand it.  If the reply was below the quoted text, I read
the text and then the reply and it makes perfect sense.  And if it is a
topic I remember, I just scroll past the quoted and read the reply.
Much easier way of doing things.

> As for this, I agree. I was referring more to e-mail than to news. I
> don't read newsgroups too often, but, as I've been doing a lot recently,
> I have found that this is true [hence the format of my current reply].

Mailing lists aren't newsgroups.  Mine runs through listbot.  You
address mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and it is automatically
sent to anyone subscribed to the list.

>>> [...] as your reply may get lost as I scroll on down, so I guess I just
>>> like things my own way.
>>>

>> If you are using a mail client which highlights text based on the ">"
>> nesting level, you won't miss a thing.
>

> PINE doesn't do this, and was my main reader for a long time [until
> about six months ago]. I've noticed Outlook do this occasionally, but it

Outlook is a bad example of a mail client, on a standards complience
view.  And it did/does have some issues with opening blazingly large
holes in my system's security