On 3/2/2002 1:57 PM, Val Sharp apparently wrote exactly the following:
> Mozilla has started checking the Content Type of stylesheets, and won't
> recognise the file if it has the wrong Content Type.

True. This was, I think, changed in 0.9.7. Should be somewhere in the
release notes.

> Two Content Types appear to be listed for .css files:
> [application/x-pontplus] and [text/css]

PointPlus seems to be a presentation program similar to MS PowerPoint.
As you can see by the "x" in the content type, this is _not_ a
registered type, but an additional / proprietary one.

text/css, as you can already see in the name, is the type supposed to be
used with .css files.

> Some web host servers, including mine, are using the first type - so
> Mozilla no longer uses my stylesheets.
 >
> When I contacted my ISP (Netscape Online, UK), to suggest they might be
> sending the wrong Content Type, I received the following responses:

Is Netscape Online UK affiliated with AOLTW's Netscape (Netscape
Communications)? I wasn't able to find any information on a company
called "Netscape Online" located in the UK on Google.

If that is the case, then this is quite ironic - after all, Netscape
originally launched the Mozilla project.

> 1.  Unfortunately, as defined in our Member Agreement, we do not provide
> assistance in web design, beyond the area which you will find our own
> Help Page...

That is quite a reason for not to use this ISP any longer. Translate it
to "all we really do care about is to get your money".

> 2.  Unfortunately your queries bare no relevance to Netscape Online,

Oh yes they do, unless Netscape Online doesn't want customers that
actually know how to write html with css properly.

> so  we are unable to provide support. Please refer to Netscape themselves at
> www.netscape.com or the help area at:- http://help.netscape.com/ You may
> also wish to feed back your comments using the following link
> http://help.netscape.com/feedback.html.
>
> These are the people who actually produce the Netscape Communicator /
> Mozilla software and will be able to assist you further.

Makes me wonder if the person who replied to your e-mail did even know
what css is.

> 3.  Unfortunately we cannot help you further with this matter. Whether
> or not our Netscape Online hosting servers are using
> 'application/x-pointplus' or not, they will be configured to support the
> browsers used by the majority of users.

"The majority of users". Yeah... so what about the rest? Leave them
standing in the rain? Or loose them as customers?

> (careful JTK - I've heard of people literally dying from laughing too
> much :-)
>
> Short of changing my ISP,

If I were you, I would do so.

> any suggestions?

Unfortunately not - as far as I understood, you have your pages hosted
at the same provider who is also your ISP. It might be wise to use a
different provider for web hosting.

--
Regards,
Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')