> My mail accounts were set to check mail at startup, so I changed those
> settings. Also I tried setting "Use my previous online.offline state" in
> Offline & Disk Space settings while offline, but I am still getting the
> connect dialog box on startup. I can also confirm my start page is a
> local file.
> Anybody have any other suggestions on how to get rid of this annoyance?
>
> Using Mozilla 0.9.8 Build ID: 2002020406
> OS: Win ME

I have the setting to check for new mails at startup enabled too, and my
start page is *not* a local file, but I have never encountered the
problem you described (QuickStart of course is enabled, but I am using
Win 98). So it seems that these settings can't have to do with your
problem. Also I don't start or leave Mozilla in offline mode, that too
doesn't matter, and I never changed the setting in Offline & Disk Space,
it is 'Ask me if I want online or offline mode' but Mozilla has never
bothered me with such questions. So I think all those settings don't
have to do with your trouble.

Does the pop-up box you mention look like a windows dialog box or like a
dialog box from Mozilla? I don't now if those things are on the same
place on Win ME, but please look at "My Computer"" -> "Control Panel" ->
"Internet Options" or something like that and change under
"connections", to "use no connection" if something different is marked.
Maybe those things are slightly different named, because I use a German
version of Windows ;-)

Hope that helps,
Fabian