Jimmy Cerra wrote:
Right now, I released a project under the GPL [1], but I'm considering relicensing it under a tri-license GPL/LGPL/MPL. What are the advantages of this?

Your code could be included in Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird :-)

Tri-licensing is the right option when you want your code to be easily usable by GPLed projects, LGPLed projects and MPLed projects. (You cannot normally combine MPLed code and GPLed or LGPLed code.)

Having it under the MPL as well as GPL or LGPL is good if you are happy for people to be able to make semi-proprietary apps from your code - e.g. as Netscape 7 is to the Mozilla Suite.

I'm also considering CDDL, Sun's new license [2] which is based on the MPL. Is it compatible with the MPL? What are the advantages of using the MPL verses the CDDL?

I would advise against using the CDDL at the very least until it's finished and has been certified as open-source compatible. Someone might then write a detailed description of the differences from the MPL.

I do not know if it's compatible with the MPL; I haven't considered the question. I know mozilla.org wouldn't accept CDDLed code into the respository "because it's just like the MPL" - we'd need to examine the license very carefully first.

Tri-licensing with the CDDL is harder because they've removed the specific provisions about tri-licensing, so there's no default boilerplate text. You can of course still tri-license, but you'd need to write your own legalese.

Gerv