> What is the purpose of this high-pass filtering ?
> You said that it would affect only 2 MDCT coeficients, that is
> less than a percent of them all, so what gain do you/we expect from it ?

In the tuning of the 44.1kHz voice option (I know that this option should be
updated now for other bitrates), I added such an high pass filter by zeroing
the 2 lower mdct coefficients. In my test cases, it dropped the vbr average
bitrate from 121kbps to 120kbps. So it's just a little more than a percent.
It's right that it's not a lot, but I think it's important. As an example, a
standard 10 or 15Hz high pass filter would be nice, as no one is able to ear
such frequencies, so why encoding them?

Regards,

Gabriel Bouvigne - France
[EMAIL PROTECTED]