The target-freq feature as it is currently implemented, unfortunately, has very slow convergence. You may find it faster to just compute lots of bands (enough to cover frequencies up to and including the gap).

To find kz as a function of frequency, once you have identified the band that you want, there is a built-in function in MPB to perform this inversion (see the reference section).

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson