Jed,

On 8/13/19 5:54 AM, Jed Brown via mpi-forum wrote:
"Jeff Squyres \(jsquyres\) via mpi-forum" <mpi-forum@lists.mpi-forum.org>
writes:

Let me ask a simple question: how will users to write portable MPI programs in
C with large count values?

Answer: they will explicitly call MPI_Send_x(), and not rely on C11 _Generic.

Few packages will accept a hard dependency on MPI-4 for at least 10
years.  MS-MPI still doesn't fully support MPI-2.1, for example, and
PETSc only recently began requiring MPI-2.0.

That is a sad truth: I just had a colleague asking me about a >6y old Open MPI release...

I'm not taking a position on C11 _Generic in the standard, but it would
significantly reduce the configure complexity for apps to upgrade to
MPI_Count without dropping support for previous standards.

I don't see how C11 _Generic will make life easier. if an application expects to transfer >2G elements it will eventually transition to MPI_Count. With C11 _Generic (as originally proposed), checks are required to ensure that both the compiler and the MPI implementation support it to avoid silent corruption. Without _Generic, the compiler has no role in this and compilation will fail if the MPI implementation does not offer the MPI_*_x calls. The error is thus obvious. Thus, the application has to have configure checks and wrapper calls to properly support large transfers. And if they are not needed then there is no reason to use the MPI_*_x calls in the first place.

The point Jeff is making below is totally valid.

Joseph

Which then raises the question: what's the point of using C11
_Generic?  Its main functionality can lead to [potentially] silent
run-time errors, and/or require additional error checking in every
single code path by the implementation.  That just seems like bad
design, IMNSHO.  That's why the WG decided to bring this to the Forum
list (especially given the compressed timeframe for MPI-4).