M Smith wrote:

> I would really be interested if someone could
> explain what and who the DFL machine is and are.

The Minneapolis DFL machine has been the total
domination of the council, supported by neighborhood
"activists," funded by the NRP, which in turn was supported
by a DFL legislature.

A couple of years ago I told Dore Mead that the election
of Venture signaled the displease of the electorate with
the DFL.  At the time she disagreed.  I don't think that
anyone (including me) could have predicted the success
of the Green Party in the primary.  I hope with all my
heart that these changes will also be reflected in the
new council.  This city has been run under a one party
system for far too long.  Power corrupts, absolute
power...

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park